2 a hair style for women and children; a short haircut all around
4 a hanging weight, especially a metal ball on a string
7 a short abrupt inclination (as of the head); "he gave me a short bob of acknowledgement"
1 move up and down repeatedly; "her rucksack bobbed gently on her back"
2 ride a bobsled; "The boys bobbed down the hill screaming with pleasure" [syn: bobsled]
4 make a curtsy; usually done only by girls and women; as a sign of respect; "She curtsied when she shook the Queen's hand" [syn: curtsy]
- To move gently and vertically, in either a single motion or
repeatedly up and down, at or near the surface of a body of water.
- The cork bobbed gently in the calm water.
- The ball, which we had thought lost, suddenly bobbed up out of the water.
- The cork bobbed gently in the calm water.
- To move (something) as though it were bobbing in water.
- I bobbed my head under water and saw the goldfish.
- bob one's head (= to nod)
- I bobbed my head under water and saw the goldfish.
- To curtsy.
move (something) as though it were bobbing in water
cut into a bob haircut
- A shilling.
- Beer’s gone up two bob a pint.
- An unspecified amount of money.
- Spot me a few bob, Robert.
Usage notesThe use of bob for shilling is dated slang in the UK and Australia, since decimalisation. In East African countries where the currency is the shilling, it is current usage, and not considered slang. OED gives first usage as 1812. TENTATIVE suggestion that on joining the army (colloquially 'taking the King's shilling') the new recruit's hair was bobbed
- abbreviation of shishkabob
Bob may refer to:
- A diminutive of Robert
- Bob (physics), the weight at the end of a pendulum
- BOB (band), a UK indie pop band
- "Bob" (song), a song by "Weird Al" Yankovic from Poodle Hat
- "Bob" (Red Hot Chili Peppers Song), a song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers from the album One Hot Minute
- J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, a figurehead of the satirical Church of the SubGenius
- Bob cut, a hairstyle
- Bob FM, a radio format in Canada and the U.S.
- Hurricane Bob, a 1991 hurricane
- Microsoft Bob, an unsuccessful software product
- A shilling
- Bob (TV series), a television comedy starring Bob Newhart
- Bob of Alice and Bob, placeholder characters in cryptography and physics problems
- Bob's Stores, Northeast retail chain store
- Bob's Big Boy, Fast food chain
- Bob's Discount Furniture Stores, Northeast furniture chain
- Bob (Cyrillic
alphabet: боб) means "bean" in many Slavic
languages. In this sense, "Bob" can refer to
- Bob chorba, Bulgarian national dish
- Little Bob, a French English-singing rock band
- "B.O.B." (song), a song by Outkast
- Baby on Board
- Bank of Baroda, in India
- Band of Brothers, an acclaimed television miniseries
- Battle of Britain
- Battle of the Bands, a competition between multiple bands
- Bayerische Oberlandbahn, a private German railway
- Beast of Burden
- Bend over boyfriend
- Berlin Operating Base, the CIA station in Berlin during the Cold War
- Berner Oberland Bahn, a mountain railway in Switzerland
- Best of Breed, an award in dog shows and other settings
- Blitter object, a graphics construct
- Bob-omb, a character in the Nintendo Mario video games
- Breakout box, an electronics component
- Bug-out bag, an emergency kit
- Bora Bora Airport's IATA airport code
- 4-bromo-2,5,beta-trimethoxy-phenethylamine, a drug
- the ISO 4217 code for the Bolivian boliviano (currency)
- Bank One Ballpark, or Chase Field
- Basketball Owl Band at Rice University
- Body Opponent Bag, a punching bag shaped like a human head and torso
- BOB (Born on Board), the humans in the Marathon Trilogy
- BOB Battery Operated Boyfriend.
- B.O.B., the titular character of the video game B.O.B.
- Bob the Tomato, one of the principal characters in VeggieTales.
- Bob (Twin Peaks), a villain on the television show Twin Peaks
- Bob (Blackadder character), the name of two characters in the television comedy Blackadder
- Bob (The Dresden Files), a character featured in the novels and TV show The Dresden Files
- Bob (First Comics), a "watchlizard" from the First Comics series GrimJack
- Bob the Builder
- Bob the Killer Goldfish, a character in the Earthworm Jim universe.
- Silent Bob, a character in Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse
- Almighty Bob, a fictional deity in Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams
- Bob, one of the human characters on Sesame Street
- Bob, a villain from the show Heroes.
- Bob, one of the main characters in ReBoot
- Bob, the Jagex cat in RuneScape
- Evil Bob, a random event in RuneScape
- Bob, a character in Bubble Bobble
- Bob, a character in Weebl and Bob
- Bob, a principal character in What About Bob?
- Bob, one of the two eponymous main characters of the sprite comic Bob and George
- Smilin' Bob, a character in commercials for Enzyte
- Bob Vorsh, a villain in the webcomic Jack (webcomic)
- SpongeBob Squarepants
- Sideshow Bob, Simpsons character
- Weebl and Bob cartoon
- Bob, Agent of HYDRA, comics character
- Bob, a lazy cat character that appears in Animal Crossing
People with the given name Bob
- Bob Backlund, American pro wrestler.
- Bob Barker, an American TV game show host
- Bob Bryan, a professional American tennis player.
- Bob Bryar, the current drummer for My Chemical Romance
- Bob Burnquist, professional skateboarder
- Bob Carolgees, British comedian and puppeteer
- Bob Carr, Australian politician and Premier of New South Wales
- Bob Caudle, American wrestling announcer
- Bob dela Cruz, a Filipino contestant in Pinoy Big Brother, Season 1
- Bob Clotworthy, American diver
- Bob Costas, Sports announcer
- Bob Dole, American politician
- Bob Dylan, American singer-songwriter
- Bob Ezrin, Canadian musician and record producer
- Bob Feller, Hall of Fame baseball pitcher
- Bob Forward, screenwriter and film director
- Bob Geldof, former lead singer of the Boomtown Rats, organiser of Live Aid concerts
- Bob Gibson, Hall of Fame baseball pitcher
- Bob Hope, American comedian
- Bob Hoskins, British actor
- Bob Kempainen, American long-distance runner
- Bob Kerry, US senator
- Bob Marley, Jamaican musician
- Bob McGrath, American actor
- Bob McGrory, Scottish footballer
- Bob Monkhouse, British stand-up comedian and television presenter
- Bob Newhart, an American actor
- Bob Ross, American painter
- Bob Saget, American comedian
- Bob Sinclar, French DJ
- Bob Stupak, American entrepreneur, gambler and politician
- Bob Vila, TV home improvement host
- Bob Weir, rhythm guitarist of the Grateful Dead
- Bob Woodward, American journalist
bob in Czech: Bob
bob in German: Bob
bob in Esperanto: BOB
bob in French: BOB
bob in Korean: BOB
bob in Icelandic: Bob
bob in Italian: BOB
bob in Hungarian: BOB
bob in Dutch: Bob
bob in Japanese: ボブ
bob in Portuguese: Bob
bob in Simple English: Bob
bob in Slovenian: Bob
bob in Swedish: Bob
Carling float, T square, abbreviate, abridge, abscind, abstract, accost, address, amputate, angle, annihilate, bait the hook, balsa, balsa raft, ban, bar, barber, bawbee, bend, bend the knee, bend the neck, bending the knee, bis, bob a curtsy, bob down, bobble, boil down, boom, bounce, bow, bow and scrape, bow down, bow the head, bowing and scraping, bump, buoy, burden, caper, capriole, capsulize, caracole, careen, cavort, chant, chatter, chorus, clam, clip, coggle, coif, coiffure, compress, condense, conk, contract, cork, crop, crouch, crown, cull, curtail, curtsy, curvet, cut, cut a dido, cut away, cut back, cut capers, cut down, cut off, cut off short, cut out, cut short, dangle, dap, dib, dibble, didder, dipping the colors, dither, ditto, dock, dollar, drive, duck, elide, eliminate, embrace, enucleate, epitomize, eradicate, except, excise, exclude, extinguish, extirpate, fall down before, falter, farthing, fish, fiver, flick, flip, flirt, float, florin, flounce, fluctuate, flutter, fly-fish, foreshorten, fourpence, fourpenny, frisk, gambado, gambol, genuflect, genuflection, gig, go fishing, greeting, grig, grimace, groat, guddle, guinea, hail, half crown, half dollar, halfpenny, hand-clasp, handshake, have an ague, hello, hitch, homage, how-do-you-do, hug, hustle, inclination, isolate, jack, jacklight, jactitate, jar, jerk, jig, jigget, jiggle, jog, joggle, jolt, jostle, jounce, jump, jump about, kiss, kneel, kneeling, knock, knock off, kowtow, lead, librate, life buoy, life preserver, life raft, lop, lurch, mag, make a leg, make a reverence, make obeisance, making a leg, meg, mite, monkey, mow, mutilate, net, new pence, nip, nod, np, nutate, obeisance, obsequiousness, oscillate, p, pare, peel, pence, pendulate, penny, pick out, pitch, pluck, plumb, plumb bob, plumb line, plumb rule, plummet, poll, pollard, pompadour, pontoon, pony, pound, prance, presenting arms, process, prostration, prune, quake, quaver, quid, quiver, raft, ramp, rap, reap, recap, recapitulate, reduce, reel, refrain, repeat, repetend, resonate, retrench, reverence, rictus, ritornello, rock, roll, romp, root out, rule out, salaam, salutation, salute, sandbag, scrape, seine, servility, set apart, set aside, set square, shake, shave, shear, shilling, shingle, shiver, shock, shorten, shrimp, shudder, sinker, sixpence, skip, smile, smile of recognition, snatch, snub, spin, square, squat, stamp out, standing at attention, start, still-fish, stoop, strike off, strip, strip off, stunt, submission, submissiveness, sudden pull, sum up, summarize, supination, surfboard, swag, sway, swing, synopsize, take in, take off, take out, telescope, tenner, threepence, threepenny bit, thrippence, tic, torch, toss, trawl, tremble, tremor, trim, trip, troll, truncate, try square, tunk, tuppence, tweak, twitch, twitter, twopence, undersong, vacillate, vibrate, wag, waggle, wave, waver, weight, whale, wipe out, wobble, wrench, yank, yerk